Sunday 15 June 2014

Duelling Gamers - Month 3 Progress


I've been a bit slack with my Tale of Duelling Gamer updates this month, but that doesn't mean I haven't made any progress.

My plans for the month have me painting another 16 Dwarf Quarrellers and 2 characters in June. Having not particularly enjoyed painting Quarrellers last month, I can't say as I was enthusiastic about this plan, but I stuck with it because it will give me a substantial regiment for the army. I will worry about the characters later, assuming I have time.

Rather than just paint up another 16 of the current plastic Quarrellers, I decided that I wanted to do something about the fact that I might want to equip the unit with great weapons. The normal models really don't allow for this at all, so I decided to work with some older plastic Dwarf models I had acquired - the multi-part kit from back in 5th or 6th edition. The one where the models carried great weapons of crossbows on their shoulders. It seemed like the perfect solution - they had both the weapons I was looking for. 
A few older Dwarfs, each armed with crossbows and great weapons.
Some of the axes I could us as-is. Some of the others were modified using things like banner handles.
Unfortunately I then complicated things for myself by deciding that I wanted all of them to have crossbows - including the ones with shouldered great weapons. There were a couple of spare crossbows without hands holding them that could go on the backs of the models, but for the others I had to improvise.
The crossbow comes from an Empire militia box set. This was cut and attached to the shoulder from one of the Dwarf arms above.
Put it all together, and you get a workable left arm carrying a crossbow. I made a few of these.
Once that was all done, I could start painting. I did the armour on all 16, then started painting the colours before realising what I was doing (ie forgetting to paint in smaller batches). I then eventually focused on 6, and those are now done. I've started on another 5, but they have a way to go yet.
The first wave completed, in the same colour scheme as the previous month's unit.
And here they are from the back. I quite like these older multi-part plastic Dwarfs.
Here they are mingled with a few of their more modern (and less heavily-armed) friends.
I think they mix in fine together.
Hopefully it won't be too long before I can get the rest painted and start thinking about those characters.

2 comments: